Is Hormone Replacement Therapy Right for You?
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is typically recommended for individuals who are experiencing symptoms of hormonal imbalances, such as menopause or andropause (low testosterone levels in men). HRT can help alleviate symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, decreased sex drive, mood changes, insomnia, brain fog, weight gain, sagging skin, low energy, and fatigue.
*It’s important to note that HRT is not appropriate for everyone, and the benefits and risks of HRT should be carefully considered before starting treatment. Factors such as age, medical history, and individual health status can impact the suitability of HRT for an individual.
Our HRT specialists meet with men and women experiencing these issues who have not been able to find relief or improvement and determine if HRT is a good option. We will conduct a comprehensive diagnostic to understand the underlying causes, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this type of therapy, and answer any questions. If it is determined that HRT therapy is a viable option and prior to proceeding with treatment, we will order lab work including sex hormone, reproductive, and metabolic panels. Once results are received, we will devise a HRT therapy and wellness plan specifically for you.
What are the benefits of HRT?
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) can offer several benefits for individuals who are experiencing hormonal imbalances. Some of the most common benefits of HRT include:
- Relief of menopausal symptoms: HRT can relieve symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness.
- Improved mood: HRT can help alleviate mood changes and depression that can occur during menopause and as we age.
- Improved sleep: HRT can help with sleep disturbances that can occur during menopause and as we age.
- Increased bone density: HRT can help to prevent osteoporosis and maintain strong bones.
- Improved sexual function: HRT can help to increase libido and improve sexual function.
- Better cognitive function: HRT may improve cognitive function and brain fog and reduce the risk of dementia.
- Reverse weight gain: HRT may assist in reversing weight gained as a result of hormone imbalances, metabolic disruption, menopause, and aging.
*It’s important to note that the benefits of HRT may vary for different individuals and depend on a variety of factors such as age, health status, and duration of therapy.
Additionally, HRT may also come with potential risks, and it’s important to have a discussion with your HRT specialsit at Vitality Aesthetics regarding the benefits and risks of HRT for your individual situation before starting therapy.
How is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Administered?
HRT may be administered in several ways, including:
- Oral: HRT can be taken in the form of pills or tablets, which are taken daily.
- Transdermal: HRT can be delivered through a patch that is placed on the skin, which releases hormones through the skin and into the bloodstream.
- Topical: HRT can also be applied to the skin in the form of gels or creams, which are absorbed into the bloodstream.Internal: HRT can be directly administered via vaginal creams, rings, or tablets, to the vagina in the form of creams, rings, or tablets to treat vaginal symptoms of menopause such as dryness and pain during sex.
- Injections: HRT can also be delivered by injection, typically on a monthly basis.
- Implanted pellets: HRT can be delivered through small pellets that are inserted under the skin and release hormones slowly over time.
The method of HRT administration will depend on your specific needs and goals, as recommended by your HRT specialist, and as you feel is right for you. The choice of delivery method will also depend on factors such as the type of hormone being replaced and the severity of symptoms.
How to prepare for HRT?
Before beginning HRT, it is important to have a comprehensive evaluation with your HRT specialist to determine if HRT is appropriate for you. During the evaluation, your medical history and current health status will be assessed, and any potential risks or contraindications will be identified. Your HRT specialist will order laboratory tests to assess your hormone levels and other contributing factors.
It is important to discuss any past or current medical conditions and medications you are taking with your HRT specialist, as these may impact the safety and efficacy of HRT. Additionally, your HRT specialist will answer any questions you may have about the benefits and risks of HRT and will help you understand the different methods of administration. Regularly followup appointments will be scheduled to monitor your progress and adjust your HRT regimen as needed.
By being proactive and informed about HRT and having open and honest discussions with your HRT specialist, you can ensure that HRT is a safe and effective treatment option for you.
What to Expect After HRT
The experience after starting HRT can vary depending on several factors such as the type of HRT, the dose, and the duration of therapy. Some individuals may experience an improvement in symptoms within a few weeks of starting HRT, while others may take longer to notice the effects.
Possible effects of HRT may include:
- Mild nausea: Some individuals may experience nausea during the first few weeks of HRT, but this usually resolves on its own.
- Breast tenderness: Some women may experience breast tenderness during HRT, but this usually improves over time.
- Spotting or bleeding: Some women may experience light spotting or bleeding in the first few months of HRT, but this usually improves with continued use.
- Headaches: Some individuals may experience headaches during HRT, but this is typically a temporary side effect.
- Mood changes: Some individuals may experience mood changes during HRT, but this is typically a temporary side effect.
In general, individuals who are undergoing HRT should experience a significant improvement in symptoms and a better quality of life quickly after starting therapy. However, everyone’s experience with HRT is unique, and it’s important to have open and honest discussions with your HRT specialist about any concerns or questions you may have.
Vitality Aesthetics is a discrete and boutique medspa located in the greater Sykesville and Eldersburg area. We value our patients and seek to improve their overall health and wellness so that they may go on to experience great things in life. Contact us to start with a consultation.